Feb 21, 2013

RhoDeo 1307 Goldy Rhox 96


Hello, today the 96th post of GoldyRhox, classic pop rock, in the darklight an English singer-songwriter who died in his sleep earlier this week age 68, he was a major influential force in the English psychedelic movement. BBC DJ John Peel wrote in his autobiography that "his talent is so acute you could perform major eye surgery with it."

He was a founding member of the pioneering psychedelic band Soft Machine in the late 1960s, and was closely associated with the Canterbury scene. He recorded a series of albums as a solo artist and over the years worked with Brian Eno, Syd Barrett, John Cale, Elton John, Robert Wyatt, Andy Summers, Mike Oldfield, Nico and Ollie Halsall, among others. After living for many years in Deià, Majorca, he returned to the United Kingdom in the mid-1990s before moving to the south of France. His last album was The Unfairground, which was recorded in New York City, Tucson, Arizona, and London in 2006.

Our man spent most of his childhood in Malaysia.The tropical atmosphere and unpressured lifestyle had an impact, and one of the frustrating and endearing aspects of Ayers' career is that every time he seemed on the point of success, he would take off for some sunny spot where good wine and food were easily found. His final years he spent in the south of France. Apparently a neighbour found him (he lived alone) and there was a note next to his bed which said 'You can't shine if you don't burn'...

***** ***** ***** ***** *****
Most of the albums i 'll post made many millions for the music industry and a lot of what i intend to post still gets repackaged and remastered decades later, squeezing the last drop of profit out of bands that for the most part have ceased to exist long ago, although sometimes they get lured out of the mothballs to do a big bucks gig or tour. Now i'm not as naive to post this kinda music for all to see and have deleted, these will be a black box posts, i'm sorry for those on limited bandwidth but for most of you a gamble will get you a quality rip don't like it, deleting is just 2 clicks...That said i will try to accommodate somewhat and produce some cryptic info on the artist and or album.


In 1971, today's star started recording what would become his third and most acclaimed solo album, accompanied by members of Gong and his previous backing band The Whole World. Praised by NME, Record Mirror and Rolling Stone, the album realised all the musical aspirations he had harboured since the inception of Soft Machine. As with most of his albums, a collision of disparate styles confronts the listener but in this instance they work to extremely powerful effect. The title track with Mike Oldfield's guitar accompaniment and Robert Wyatt’s wracked harmonies would become a template for his subsequent 70s output.

Many critics and fans have cited todays mystery album as their favourite album and it remains to this day a best seller in his catalogue. This here from the Harvest years box with 8 bonus tracks.

here an example of his off beat humor and philosphy

I walked into this bar and the man refused.
He said, "We don't serve strangers in blue suede shoes.
We don't give credit, and we don't give way--
We have to think about what the people might say.
You know what I mean..." I said, "Sure, man"
He gave me a smile that was sickly and wet.
And I offered him one of my cigarettes.
He took it, afraid that he might appear rude,
And proceeded to sell me some second class food.
Nice guy You meet 'em everywhere.. .

He said, "My oh my, I have suffered too long,
And this cigarette seems to be very strong;
I don't make the rules, I just get what I take
And I guess every rule was made to break.
You can take what you like, it won't hurt me
Cause I’m just working for the company."
From his green cigarette he took a long drag,
And said, "I think I'll pick my travelling bag.
I’m tired of cheating, and wasting my head
And filling the boss's bags with bread.
I want to get out in the sun and rain,
And feel the wind on on skin again;
The world is large, and I've got time yet.
And, by the way, thanks for that cigarette..

Thank you very much.


Goldy Rhox 96   (flac 368mb)

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

1 comment:

Nubban Lama Mipham Chögyal said...

Hello Rho,

Please re-post the Kevin Ayers if able.

Thanks for everything.